A POEM FOR NALAH


A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.

For a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky just to have seen it.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

My girls enjoying mealtime together...

Nalah was always entertaining at the dinner table. Before she obtained her custom high chair, Mommy would hold her through every meal. Nalah would follow my fork with her eyes, rolling her head back and forth depending on where I would reach. I do believe she loved food, although all she could 'eat' was Neocate (a pre-digested formula). Nalah always joined in the conversation somehow. When she was older Nalah would swing her whole upper body toward whoever she wanted to be with for a cuddle. At first I was puzzled, since she was sitting so well. Why was she falling over? We learned by asking her questions that she was using her upper body to 'point' to the answer. She was smart, but not in any conventional ways. This photograph always makes me smile. Karis is three here, and was well past using her high chair. Karis insisted to use her high chair this mealtime to be just like Nalah, and sit side by side. The two had such fun being home together. I miss Nalah banging on her GRIP chair when she was excited about something and playing footsie with everyone under the table. Nalah enjoyed mealtime. She was very sociable and we enjoyed mealtimes with her. I would give anything to have my whole family around a dinner table again. As Karis says, those were the 'good old days'.

The medical community will tell you trisomy siblings suffer. A picture tells a thousand words.  I cherish the memories I have of my girls. Ordinary daily things took on a whole new significance when we could do them together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment