A POEM FOR NALAH


A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.

For a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky just to have seen it.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

If only....


If I could do things all over again, I would take far more than 15,000 photographs of my girls in two years, and would record my children by videotape every single day, at least for a minute or two. Scanning through my images, there are surprises now and then, but I miss capturing something new. This photograph depicts the only day we ever tried pony tails. Nalah was not fond of accessories. Perhaps she had enough, with the occasional oxygen, the g-tube, the continuous feed with her Kangaroo Joey. Nalah despised wearing shoes, or socks, or hair accessories. She tolerated hats and boots  during Canadian winters.  Nalah humoured me this afternoon, but I can tell by her 'squishy brow' that this was not her preference. Nalah had dozens of facial expressions to communicate what she liked, and what she did not. Overall, my daughter was very easy going. This is her "little bit grumpy" face. That said, I still think Nalah looks adorable in this shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment