A POEM FOR NALAH


A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.

For a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky just to have seen it.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

GoodNight Nalah...

The first story I ever read to Nalah was very carefully chosen. I selected the book while pregnant, with all the uncertainty her birth would bring. I choose a book that I could read whether she was living, or not, and which conveyed my love to her regardless of what transpired at birth. The last pages of this book, entitled 'I Love You As Much" says the following:

" Now sleep child of mine while the stars shine above, I love you as much as a Mommy can love".

Imagine my joy when I was able to read this passage to Nalah in the NICU when she was a day old, alive, breathing on her own, exceeding everyone's expectations (which were dismal, it seemed I was the only person with any hope). We read this story often, and I highly recommend it. Now that Nalah sleeps with the stars, I still say our little bedtime words, ....sleep child of mine while the stars shine above, I love you as much as a Mommy can love. I am grateful every day for the opportunity to be Nalah's Mom. She has enriched my life in ways that I cannot even express. The photo I have attached was on my desktop so perhaps just a convenient choice, however it shows typical Nalah. Relaxed, comfy, with her 'taking on the world' pose. This photo was taken about two years ago, near Nalah's second Valentines Day. Note the "I love you" pillow at the head of the bed. Love you sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment