A POEM FOR NALAH


A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.

For a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky just to have seen it.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Talking to Momma

Nalah talking to her Momma at the Stollery, Winter 2009. Nalah was always very engaging. She interacted with those around her, and paid close attention to those she cared about. Nalah was sociable, just like her big sister. Her eyes lit up when people entered the room. One of my funniest memories is taking her to ER for something or other, and she starting 'flirting' with a male nurse. Not that she knew what flirting was. She was just fond of him because he was so friendly. Nalah did such a good job of 'socializing' that day, that the ER staff largely ignored us because she appeared so 'well'. Notably, my instincts were right. She was admitted for an RT "deep suction" and ended up in the respiratory unit for two weeks. I always loved talking to my girl. The first time Nalah 'conversed' with me she was only four days old. That first conversation brought me hope when she fell into heart failure a few days days later. Nalah's spirit and personality always inspired me. Still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment