A POEM FOR NALAH


A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.

For a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky just to have seen it.

Monday, January 30, 2012


Nalah at play, at home. Nalah loved her Lamaze toys, anything bright, colourful, and noisy. It was an absolute pleasure to have Nalah with us. I miss these days of playing, learning, loving.














Nalah's gorgeous smile. Right before this photo, I was sitting by Nalah uploading photos on my iPhone. Nalah recognized the sounds of the camera, and gave me this gorgeous smile. Nalah posed for me. A conscious act, from a child who I was told (wrongfully) would not interact in a meaningful way. Nalah interacted constantly. We spoke with everything but words.










One of my favourite memories. Taking Nalah to Hawreluk Park in Edmonton on my Birthday, August 2010. Nalah loved the sights, sounds, sun and wind. It was a glorious summer day and Nalah and I experienced what many take for granted. An afternoon in the Park. I, we, loved it. Nalah spent a fair bit of time talking to the sky that day. Not the only time I felt she was speaking to Angels.











One of our funnier moments. I purchased this spring outfit in May 2010. Nalah's nurse and I tried on the outfit, just for fun, to take some photos. Nalah HATED the hat. Could not get over this strange object on her head. Especially with ladybugs! We were chuckling so hard we forgot, momentarily, to hook up her feeding tube for a few moments. Nalah let us know her preferences, that is for sure. And this hat was not one of them.