A POEM FOR NALAH


A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.

For a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky just to have seen it.

Monday, September 17, 2018

I love this photo of my daughter Nalah. Doctors advised, prior to birth, that Nalah would likely not interact with her family. Well, she interacted ALL the time. She communicated volumes without saying a spoken word. Body language, hundreds of facial expressions, and the sweetest noises that could be made. Sounded like singing to me. On this day, I was fiddling with my iPhone, something I regret doing so much in her presence, and Nalah turned to me and put on a big smile for the camera. This smile is exactly like my smile on my first day of grade one photo. She looks exactly like me in this picture, my child. I treasure the smile, and I treasure the connection. 

Love you baby girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment